If you want to create a mobile app, you can, of course, think about becoming a programmer
Whichever option you choose, there are several stages that an app should go through before it can be released.
How to start making Android apps
Where should you start when it comes to coding?
Android Software Development Kit is the main tool that developers use to make an app.
First of all, install the Android Studio program. This is the official development environment (IDE) for Android and is available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
- You can, however, use other environments besides Android Studio when developing programs for Android.
- If you don’t have the Android SDK and other components installed on your computer, Android Studio will download them automatically. As Android SDK is a programming environment for Android, it must be installed with the IDE. The SDK includes libraries, executables, scripts, documentation etc.
- It’s also a good idea to install an Android emulator on your computer so that you can run APK applications on it later on. The emulator also comes bundled with Android Studio.
When all the tools are installed, you can create your first project. First, however, you need to understand the basic concepts of what constitutes an Android application.
- The standard programming language for Android applications is Java. It’s true, however, that Google has begun actively promoting Kotlin as a language that could replace Java.
- The Android SDK tools compile your code along with any data and resources into an APK file (Android package) with the extension .apk. This file contains everything you need to install the application on your Android device.
How to make an Android app for phones and tablets
At the stage of design, you need to take into consideration all the different screen sizes where your app can be displayed.
- Unlike iOS, Android has hundreds of different smartphone models running on it – not to mention tablets and other devices.
- Obviously, preparing a separate design for every model is no simple matter. Instead, you can either develop a responsive design or just prepare mockups for the most popular smartphones, gradually adding more and more models on the go.
Hybrid development: how to make an app for iOS and Android
Most businesses opt to release apps for both platforms in order to reach a wider audience. However, developing two apps at the same time is very expensive. So, some prefer to choose a hybrid solution that runs on both OS.
- These are also called cross-platform apps. Such apps are faster and easier to make.
- This, like any other across-the-board option, means a compromise between the technical requirements of the two platforms. Such an app’s responsive design can adapt to different screens but not always successfully. For example, the tab bar on an iPhone is usually at the top of the screen whilst Android users are used to having their menu at the bottom.
A Hybrid app will never work as well as a native application: a cross-platform app can work brilliantly if the components are programmed separately for iOS and Android and joined together in one body. Development costs of such an application, however, can be higher than for two separate apps. Maintenance costs, for sure, will be higher as well.
How to develop an app for beginners
Android development is now one of the most promising fields for programmers. Talented developers make good money and have interesting tasks. How do you become one of them? Follow these five steps:
1. Learn a programming language
2. Download and set up Android Studio
Once you know how to code, you will need to install the environment for Android development. This, for example, could be Android Studio – the most popular IDE today.
3. Start a new project
Open the program and begin your first project. Android Studio intelligent code editor will help you to create better code, work faster and be more productive thanks to code completion, refactoring and code analysis tools.
4. Code the app
This is the step at which you write the functionality of the app. During the backend stage, you manage the interchange of data between the end-users and the server-side or a cloud solution.
5. Take care of the layouts
The application will be unusable if it doesn’t have a clear, user-friendly interface. The last step will be to unite the backend and the frontend parts of your app to create a finished project.
How to easily make native applications for Google
In any case, if you aren’t sure whether you’ll be able to code an app yourself and IT agencies are too expensive, there is a way. Special app builders out there on the market can help you make professional apps with no special skills for a really low price.
How to make a basic Android app
If you need to make an Android app quickly for your own needs, feel free to try out some online app builders. Several of them even provide some basic functionality for free, allowing you to experience what the process of app-building is like.
However, their functionality is strictly limited, as is the number of design templates they offer.
How to develop an app for free
Here are some of the app builders you can check out.
- Appy Pie
A simple and inexpensive 3-step app creator with a 14-day free trial period.
Lets you turn the content from your website into an iOS or Android app. Has tools for promotion and design.
A quick way to get a working application based on your business needs. Many scalable offers, some of which are quite costly.
Wix is more famous as a website builder. Now its makers have also developed a highly customisable platform for developing Android apps. Has free options.
You will need less than an hour to develop a native app for any of the popular OS, or a progressive application than runs on any device.
How to earn money by making mobile apps
Mobile applications are a perfect way to make money from scratch or increase your income as a company. Choosing the right strategy for monetisation will help you not only pay off all of your related expenses but also earn extra income.
To find out how much it costs to create an app, read an independent app development price review here:
And here are some additional materials from our blog which can be useful: